Monday, February 18, 2013

Lexi's Birth Story


WARNING! Very long and detailed post!

Lexi Kate Harper
Born January 21, 2013
7:54 a.m.
6 lbs 12 oz

As those of you know who read my last blog, I ended up having a scheduled C-Section because Lexi was breech.  I was super nervous because I've never had anything that I had to be hospitalized for.  The biggest medical events that have happened was having my wisdom teeth out and breaking my middle finger.  I had sought out some wisdom from other people who had been through C-Sections on what to expect since it was such a last minute surprise to have the procedure done.

We were scheduled to have the C-Section at Carolinas Hospital at 7:30 Monday, January 21, 2013.  Dr. Rainwater was going to be performing the procedure and since it was in Florence we had to be at the hospital 2 hours early to get everything ready.  That meant we had to leave our house at 4:30 and I wanted to get up and shower before we left so that meant getting up at 3:30.  Wow.  I knew I wasn't going to be sleeping well anyway so that was actually ok with me to be getting up that early.  I knew I had a lot of people praying for peace and a good night sleep on Sunday night and as we went to bed I thought I would have a hard time going to sleep.  The next thing I knew my alarm was going off and it was 3:30!  I couldn't believe that I had fallen asleep so quickly and been able to sleep until 3:30.  I took a long shower and checked my bag that I had packed and made sure I had everything I wanted to take. Again.  It's funny because I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything after midnight and that morning I think because I knew I couldn't eat or drink I was incredibly thirsty.  Marshall grabbed a vanilla Starbucks Frappuccino in a glass bottle and an apple and I was so jealous.  I wanted a big glass of water, a coffee and a nice big breakfast.  None for me.  I told Marshall that morning I actually felt pretty calm.  My mom had also come to spend the night and go with us that morning and stay through Saturday.  I can't tell you how amazing it is to have your mom with you when you are worried, hurting, nervous, etc.  There is just something so calming about having Mom with you when you need something.  I am so thankful she had planned to be there with us that week and help us through the recovery time because goodness I don't know how we would have done it without her.  It had been really warm the few days before but it had cooled off that day and that early in the morning it was in the 30's.  

When we got to the hospital all the nurses were waiting and asked if I was the one they were waiting for- and I said hopefully yes!  They were very cheerful and friendly and took me to a room where they were going to ask me a billion questions and then start the IV and give the epidural.  They told me to strip down and put the gown on and go ahead and lay in the bed.  They hooked me up to the monitor to hear Lexi's heartbeat and the nurse who first looked at my belly said oh yeah, she's breech alright- that's definitely the head up at the top.  The IV hurt like crazy going in my hand and was very uncomfortable.  The nurse said I was actually having some small contractions as well- who knew!  The anesthesiologist came into the room and asked me some questions and talked to me about the epidural.  This was the first part that I was dreading.  I told him when he shook my hand that I was sorry I was super nervous and so my hands felt sweaty.  The nurse that was in the room for the epidural was so helpful I can't even tell you.  She put her hands on my shoulders and told me to relax them and was face to face with me the entire time and just talked me through everything.  I don't know why but I couldn't stop shaking.  After the epidural went in it was a really strange feeling.  They unfortunately told me I was only allowed 1 person in the operating room with me so my mom had to wait outside.  They wheeled me off and I was moved onto the table and the sheet was put up in front of me.  They had me lay both of my hands out to the side and I felt so ridiculous because I still could not stop shaking.  They assured me that this was normal and I tried to take deep breaths to calm down and Marshall held my hand and told me everything was going to be ok.  

Then they started the procedure.  Marshall told me afterward that Dr. Rainwater told him she wouldn't call for any of her instruments because it made the patient nervous.  She said that they would be talking about normal, everyday things during the procedure.  In all honesty, the procedure is kind of a blur to me now.  Marshall said that during the procedure my face looked crazy.  In total shock.  He continued to reassure me that everything would be fine.  I could feel the pressure of them pulling and tugging on my stomach but it didn't hurt at all.  It was just a weird feeling.  When they were getting ready to pull Lexi out they told Marshall he could stand up to look over the curtain.  He said that Lexi was stuck in my stomach and Dr. Rainwater had to reach inside my stomach to get her out.  Crazy.  Lexi also started crying before she was fully out and Dr. Rainwater told her she couldn't cry yet.  Once she was out and they showed her to me we took a few pictures and Marshall went with her to the nursery.  It was then that I really started feeling nauseous.  I told the anesthesiologist that I wasn't feeling good and he said he would put something in my IV and I knew that wasn't going to work fast enough.  I told him I was going to throw up and he brought a bag to the side of my face and I turned and threw up a couple times.  He thought I was done so he pulled it away and then I started throwing up again and he just brought a towel beside me to throw up on.  It was miserable.  My hands were by my side and I couldn't do anything.  I felt helpless and gross because I'd thrown up on the side of my face.  I was exhausted from the meds.  I asked if Marshall was going to come back in and they told me he wasn't allowed to come back in.  I sure wish I would have known that before he left to go with Lexi to the nursery!  To get Lexi out it took probably less than 15 minutes.  The rest of the time was just closing me up.  

Marshall and my mom joined me in the recovery room and I was in there for about 30 minutes.  As soon as they wheeled me out of the recovery room they brought Lexi in and we took some pictures and then I fed her for the first time.  Everyone was amazed that the very first time I tried to feed her she latched right away.  The nurses said that rarely happens and that I was very fortunate that she seemed to know what she was doing!  I had been told that whenever I was allowed meds (percocet and motrin) to take them.  I was sure poppin those pills and watching the clock to see when I could take the next dose!  I was in a lot of pain and by far the worst pain was on Monday night's sleep (or early Tuesday morning) after they had stopped the epidural where I could push the button for an extra dose I was coming down off of everything and in the middle of the night I got the shakes and was in a lot of pain.  Marshall came over and held my hand and tried to comfort me but I was so exhausted.  Tuesday was a pretty rough day as well.  They didn't want me standing up for 24 hours so Tuesday was the first time I stood up.  The nurse warned me that when I stood up it would feel like my stomach was on fire.  Oh.my.goodness.  Ouch. Boy did she describe it exactly right.  They wanted me to stand up as straight as possible and make it to the bathroom.  I knew I had a long way to go to feel normal. 

We had several visitors throughout my stay.  Each morning Mom would come in with Starbucks coffee and breakfast for us.  It was such a nice treat each morning to have that to look forward to!  Wednesday was my first shower since early Monday morning and it felt really good- I felt more normal and tried to be up and sit in the chair beside the bed some.  I was starting to feel extremely sore from laying in the bed.  My butt and back were so painful!  I tried some different positions but they tell you not to use your abs at all... try pulling your legs onto the bed not using your abs- not so easy my friends!  I would have Marshall and my mom lift my legs to get me back in the bed so I wouldn't use those muscles.  I don't think before Thursday I would have been ready to go home!  Luckily I had been prepared to go home and took it slow and had a cute new maxi dress to wear as to not touch my incision.  Mom had gone to the grocery store and was ready for us when we got home and stayed through Sunday to help us out.  Our first week with our little girl was sleep deprived- haha- but amazing.  We love her so much and are so thankful to have her in our lives now!   Here are some pictures to document our time at the hospital.  

Me in the O.R. on the table.  

We think this picture is hilarious because this is so typical for her- hands up like that- she's such a wiggle worm! Side note- whenever we put her on the changing table she puts her hands up like that- fingers all spread out!  It's so cute! 



 In my hospital room:

 Lexi meeting Papa (Marshall's dad) for the first time:

 Lexi meeting Papa Ty (my dad) for the first time:

 Lexi meeting Aunt Ashley and Uncle Adam:


 Her first picture with Grandma (my mom):

 About to leave the hospital on Thursday:



No comments: