Saturday, November 2, 2013

Happy Front Door!

Ok, you have to understand...we had a sad front door.  I had seen a couple blogs (here and here) recently that painted their front doors and I thought since there really isn't much in our house to update or add our touch to that this would be a fun way to personalize it!  Our door looks fine from really really far far away, but up close it has some real issues.  It has an ombre look goin' on.  It goes from a bright red at the top to an almost red-orange at the bottom I'm guessing from being faded by the sun.  I absolutely LOVE looking at paint colors but when it comes to pulling the trigger on the decision I over analyze tend to wait to make a decision.  But when I saw the Iheartorganizing blog's paint color, I knew it was the one.  I love seeing colors already on walls, in pictures, already picked out to see what they will turn out like.  No guess work.  We had a problem though.  Behr paint is only found at Home Depot and we definitely do not have one in Sumter.  BUT we knew we were heading to Columbia in a week for the day with our friends so I knew I could buy it then.  It was kind of a bummer to wait though I have to tell ya.  I was ready to get started right that minute!  So after making the trip we got started the very next day.  Oh, and we went with Behr's Harbor in the Marquee paint (which is the top of the line, fade resistant, rain ready in an hour- oh yeahhhh).

Here is our sad door before: 



Up close you can see the paint chipping away showing the white (or possibly yellow?) door underneath


The bright red top of the door...


Anddd the red-orange bottom.  Yuck. 


Marshall started by taping the door knob but then decided it would just be easy enough to take them off.


I wiped the door down to get all the dirt and grime off so we had a clean surface to start. 


Another up close picture of the not so pretty red door.  


I believe this was after 1 coat of the paint.  



We let the door stay open for a little while to dry but as I said this paint was REALLY quick dry- which we were thankful for.... the 2 coats only took a total of maybe 2 hours and then we shut the door- can't beat that! 



Lexi was up from her nap at this point and playing with her books in the floor.... but she was entertained when I was taking pictures of her too. 



Lexi is the cutest photobomber ever. 



In this next picture Lexi was laughing.  Too funny. 




All finished.  Just the scraping of the glass left to do.  Whoever painted the red did a really bad job and left red basically over the side and so we really couldn't tape it because there would be red left and it would look awful.  So we had to paint over it to insure there would be no red left...but that made a harder clean up afterward.





I finally got around to scraping the door on Halloween so the next couple of pictures have some pumpkins (that belong to the Sill's) that were dropped off for extra decoration for having people over on Halloween.  



Andddd surprise!  I painted our carport door too!!! I told Marshall I was sad I couldn't enjoy the beautiful color every day when I came in because we come in this side door... and it was just white and looked a little dingy so I gave it some paint and now it makes me happy to walk into when I get home! 







1 comment:

Christy Ferrell said...

Love the blue... and the little photobomber!